Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Ode to the grilled cheese!

Fall, my favorite time of year.  We add an extra layer of clothing, sweaters come out, the smell of smoke fills the air from fireplaces that have been waiting for these days since last winter.  It's time to get back into some of that soul feeding comfort food.

Enter the grilled cheese sandwich.

How can that be wrong?

For so many years my grilled cheese sandwich has been butter-bread-cheddar-bread-butter, but one day I threw in a twist by making a spread of cream cheese and jalapeno, morphing my basic grilled cheese into creamy deliciousness.

Once the sea had parted, I saw endless possibilities.

Join me on this journey!

First things first, let me introduce you to the amazingness of Lodge Cast Iron (ooohs and ahhhs!)  Your bacon and butter will love your cast iron.  Your cast iron will love your bacon and butter.  (I will be doing a separate post about seasoning your cast iron, so be sure to watch for that! Here it is! Seasoning)  Once your cast iron is seasoned properly it will become your favorite go-to pan.  Non-stick, and able to retain heat and distribute it evenly are a few of the benefits of well taken care of Lodge cookware.

...happens to be one of my favorites!


Lodge is the BEST!

Enter the players:

avocado, pepper jack, colby jack, butter, jalapeno, bacon, cream cheese
Avocado, pepper jack, colby jack, real unsalted BUTTER
jalapenos, BACON, cream cheese!


Just do it.
Assemble your grilled cheese, customizing it to your tastes, and grill to toasty goodness.

I cooked my bacon until it was really crispy, then crumbled it directly onto the sandwich.
Other suggestions for switching it up are:
  • sriracha stirred into cream cheese (YUM.)
  • crumbled blue cheese with thinly sliced pear and a drizzle of honey
  • smoked swiss and fresh sliced tomato
  • etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.!
If you really want to go crazy, you can butter your bread with garlic butter and fill it with fresh basil pesto, a bit of pasta sauce, and mozzarella.

Of course this is always perfect with a bowl of hot tomato soup, (Progresso Basil and Tomato is a hit in our house,) but this grilled cheese has enough extras to be a meal of its own.


What are some of your favorite things to put in a grilled cheese?

Print Recipe
Share a picture on my Facebook page
using the hashtag
#baconbutterbliss

Find me on:
Facebook
Pinterest
Instagram
Twitter
and


No comments:

Post a Comment